May is for Labor Marches and hard work, for Mother’s Day and birthing movements, for May Baskets and the magic of giving and receiving anonymous beauty.
And, it’s the beginning of the summer festival season!
In this 10th Anniversary year, SBDP has created a touring version of our beloved Rocked By Women show. So far it has traveled to festivals in Wisconsin and on a cruise ship to the Caribbean. At the end of this month we take it across the bay to meet up with NY’s Erica Essner for a shared bill in the San Francisco International Arts Festival.
Sarah Bush Dance Project’s Rocked By Women
Wed May 31st 8pm, Fri June 2nd 9:30pm, Sat June 3rd 3pm
The Firehouse at Fort Mason, San Francisco
Click here for tickets and details.
Our resources are stretched in so many important directions.
I know that I want creativity, feminist viewpoints, beauty, joy, brave truth-telling, celebrations of women, queerness and diversity, to THRIVE.
Here are 5 reasons you should purchase tickets for Rocked By Women:
1. Rocked By Women is the perfect show to carry us from May into June – from Mother’s Day into LGBT Pride month. From baby steps to coming out, and first crush to lost love, music by women from the past four decades binds the story of many to one and one to many.
2. Critics love it!
“a weighty yet explosive expression of the power of an indomitable spirit and embracing courage… a warm, skillfully created, and generous show.” – SF Bay Guardian
3. By attending this show, you’ll be giving yourself the gift of a fun, poignant, inspiring outing. Explore the beautiful Fort Mason area, maybe enjoy a meal at Green’s Restaurant or a walk along the water before or after the performance.
4. You’ll also be giving Nina, Shanise, Rose and me the gift of your physical presence. We create work to share with audiences; performances are an energetic exchange, and you are a key element in this gift we can give to each other.
5. By purchasing a ticket, you’ll be committing the radically loving act of financially supporting art, artists and women.
I hope you’ll join me and buy a ticket for yourself, for a friend or family member. If you aren’t able to attend, buy a ticket to give as a gift to someone you know who could use a good dose of laughter, tears, music and community. May Day has passed, but maybe you could still put a ticket with some flowers in a sweet door knob basket, ring the bell, and run.
In honor of the folks who have nurtured you and of all that YOU bring into the world, Happy Mother’s Day!
Sarah Bush, Artistic Director
Sarah Bush Dance Project
Mark your calendars for these upcoming events:
- Fri May 26th, 7:30-9pm – “From Studio To Stage” – Sarah teaches a master class at Lines Dance Center in SF
- Sunday May 28th, 5pm – “Act Now, Fight Back, Fight Trump!” – Sarah speaks on a panel about LGBT Resistance to the Trump Administration
- Wed May 31st, 8pm – Rocked By Women and post-show Q&A (shared bill with Erica Essner), The Firehouse at Fort Mason, SF
- Fri June 2nd, 9:30pm – Rocked By Women (shared bill with Erica Essner), The Firehouse at Fort Mason, SF
- Sat June 3rd, 3pm – Rocked By Women (shared bill with Erica Essner), The Firehouse at Fort Mason, SF
- Fri & Sat June 2nd & 3rd, 8pm – see the piece Sarah co-choreographed with Linda Carr for Berkeley High School’s Dance Production performance.
- SUNDAYS in JUNE, 2-4:30pm – “Pride Freedom Dance Movement” a free LGBTQ dance workshop at New Style Motherlode 4225 Broadway, Oakland. Culminating in a PRIDE performance opportunity!
- July 2nd – SBDP presents new site-specific work at Dance Brigade’s Summer Feast in Dos Rios, CA. Gates at 3:30pm, Show begins at 5pm
See you this summer!