Sarah Bush Dance Project presented the World Premiere of Homeward, choreographed by Artistic Director Sarah Bush, about the variety and emotional complexity of the places and states we call “home,” performed by a multi-generational cast of Bay Area dance luminaries. These performances of Homeward marked the 10th anniversary season of Sarah Bush Dance Project.
“Not At The Table” – Excerpt from Homeward
Derived from Bush’s earlier work entitled HOME which she created in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, Homeward has been created during the current administration and in the very recent aftermath of Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria, and the devastating Northern California fires. The one-hour performance is comprised of scenes of family relationships, solos, duets, and ensembles exploring relationships and ideas about losing and finding home — as a feeling and as a place.
The intimate Shawl-Anderson Dance Center — once a single family home which still retains the details of its original craftsman architecture — provides a uniquely fitting setting for Homeward. Thirty minutes prior to the show, the audience is invited to wander through the building to observe several installations featuring dancers, video, objects, sound and lighting. The effect is to transport viewers with a sense of nostalgia, perhaps of their own homes and ideas of family.
“Homeward is an intriguing, heartfelt look at human connections and the ways people feel at home; it left the audience thinking about its own versions of home long after they left the studio.” — The Daily Californian
Premiered December 2017
at Shawl-Anderson Dance Center, Berkeley
Performed by: Sarah Bush, Julie Crothers, Clarissa Dyas, Sue Li Jue, Joan Lazarus, and Jeni Leary, with Marley Leary de Jesus. Choreographer & Director, Sarah Bush. Assistant Director, Rose Huey. Lighting Designer, Linda Baumgardner.
December 9, 10, 16 and 17
Sarah Bush, Julie Crothers, Clarissa Dyas, Sue Li Jue, Joan Lazarus, and Jeni Leary, with Marley Leary de Jesus
Choreographer & Director: Sarah Bush
Assistant Director: Rose Huey
Lighting Designer: Linda Baumgardner
Shawl-Anderson Dance Center
2704 Alcatraz Avenue
Berkeley, California 94705
Galleries open 1/2 hour before show time. Come early and explore the pre-show installations!
Due to the layout of the performance space, there will be no late seating.
Tickets: SOLD OUT
- Year In Review – SBDP’s 2019 Highlights
- Photos from Homeward show
- The Daily Californian – Dance Review ‘Homeward’ 2017
- SF Chronicle – Up Front feature
- Berkeleyside – The It List
- SF Examiner – Calendar feature
- Daily Californian – Interview “Home in a changing world”
- KQED Radio The Do List – Sarah & ‘Homeward’ featured
- SF Chronicle – front page & Datebook cover story
- Heading Homeward – Giving Thanks
- Homeward – Dec 9, 10, 16, 17 – Intimate venue, advance purchase suggested!
- PRESS RELEASE – Sarah Bush Dance Project Announces 10th Anniversary Season with World Premiere of HOMEWARD
- Homeward tickets on sale now. Early bird discount for one week only!
- Homeward 2017 photo preview
- HOMEcoming – Summer Highlights and upcoming shows